Supplements to Help Focus and Behavior
I have found the following products in quality forms of pill, liquid, and powder and posted them on my website for your convenience. Click here to learn more about them and to see dosage suggestions. You may also purchase them from that page if you want to. Always check with your practitioner for individual dosage needs.
- Omega 3 fatty acids are essential to brain function, concentration, and mood, energy, and they are anti-inflammatory
- L-tyrosine is an amino acid that will help the ability to focus
- SAMe helps with motivation
- 5HTP and St. Johns Wort are beneficial for mood stability and better sleep (5HTP helps makes serotonin)
- GABA helps with anxiety, as do probiotics, since 70% of GABA is naturally made in the intestines when enough of the good bacteria such as bifidus are present. When the gut is unhealthy, it does not produce enough GABA or the neurotransmitter serotonin. This greatly imbalances mood.
- Gingko Biloba for focus and memory
- Probiotics bring in good bacteria and also crowd out the bad bacteria which interfere with immunity and clear thinking. You must start slowly with them, due to a die-off reaction that happens when too many bad bacteria die at once and release their toxins. Click here for more information on “die off”.
- B vitamins, especially B12 as Methylcobalamin (not cyanacobalamin)
Natural supplementation can take up to three weeks to begin taking effect. It is common to notice differences much sooner, but I always want to be sure this is known so that people do not quit on them too soon. The gut directly effects the brain, so detoxifying and cleansing the digestive tract along with a healthy diet is essential.
Note: 5HTP and St. Johns Wort work so well that you need to consult with your doctor before taking it if you are on medications.
Join our Free Autism Recovery Workshop, The 4 Stages to Naturally Recover from the Symptoms of Autism. Stage 1: Healing the gut, Stage 2: Natural heavy metal detoxification, Stage 3: Clearing the Co-infections, Stage 4: Brain support and repair. Reserve your online seat here.
*Karen’s step-by-step online program, The Autism Moms Mentor Program, now in over 35 countries. This program offers you the natural resources I used to recover my own son. It is unique in that it walks you through not only gut healing and detoxification, but also the comorbid infections often left out of a recovery program. It also includes additional components such as muscle testing and emotional clearing to empower the parent to get the best possible outcome with support from a mom who has done it!
Get your invite
Also, see my book, “Naturally Recovering Autism: The Complete Step-by-Step Resource Handbook for Parents“.