Dangerous Household Toxins
Ken Cook, President of the Environmental Working Group, spoke to a senate subcommittee in January, 2013, regarding ten American newborns that had been found to have more than 200 synthetic chemicals in their blood. Among these chemicals were flame retardants, lead, stain removers, and pesticides.
Fetuses, infants, and young children are most susceptible to harm because their immune systems are not yet fully developed, and they are unable to detoxify properly. Once we saw birth defects and cancer, today we see reproductive development and disorders, diabetes, heart problems, asthma, autism, multiple learning disorders, and obesity. These toxins are endocrine disruptors which imbalance hormones, but they also are disruptors of the digestive system. They are known to increase bad bacteria in the gut. The number of chemicals has risen to over 84,000, but the EPA has only required testing on about 200. Some of the most harmful are:
- Bisphenol A (BPA) is a dangerous chemical found in plastics, such as drinking bottles, baby bottles, toys, dental sealants, and the linings of food cans. Receipts are often coated in plastic which is absorbed into the skin as a toxin. BPA is one of the most dangerous chemicals. Most diseases are linked to BPA’s and phthalates (see below). They disrupt the health of the GI tract, cause asthma and autoimmune disorders.
- Polyvinylchloride (PVC) is another potentially harmful compound that may also contain polychlorinated biphenyl (PCBs) which are synthetic, organic chemicals. PVC is commonly found in toys, vinyl flooring, countertops, and shower curtains. Research shows the nursing child ingests about fifty times the daily amount of the synthetic, organic compound polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) of adults. Both PCB and PVC are known to disrupt the hormonal system, and are linked to premature puberty, asthma, allergies, irregular menstrual cycles, breast cancer, and prostate cancer. One study done in 2009 found that those who lived in homes with vinyl floors were twice as likely to have a child with autism.
- PFCs (polyfluorinated chemicals) are known to be toxic and are used in the coatings of nonstick cookware, stain repellents in carpeting and clothing, and grease-proof paper used in the linings of packaging for certain food items such as popcorn bags.
- Flame retardants, including PBDEs are found in mattresses (including crib mattresses), automobiles, carpeting, textiles, plastics and electronics. PBDEs interfere with thyroid function, disrupt neurological development, cause reproductive problems, and cause cancer.
- Nonylphenols, including nonylphenol ethoxylates
These chemicals are used in laundry detergents, shampoos, household cleaners, and latex paints. NPs have been detected in human breast milk, blood, and urine. They have been shown to adversely affect reproductive and developmental health in rodents.
- Phthalates are found in vinyl shower curtains, vinyl flooring, and toys, lotions, cosmetics, fragrances, nail polish, air fresheners and household cleaning products, and in recycled material #3. These chemicals are extremely dangerous to the neurological system, thyroid function and are even known to cause cancer.
To search for healthy options or to search for the safety guide to any product go to, www.ewg.org.
Join our Free Autism Recovery Workshop, The 4 Stages to Naturally Recover from the Symptoms of Autism. Stage 1: Healing the gut, Stage 2: Natural heavy metal detoxification, Stage 3: Clearing the Co-infections, Stage 4: Brain support and repair. Reserve your online seat here.
Help your child get the optimum results in Karen’s step-by-step online program, The Autism Moms Mentor, working to improve the biological health aspects for better focus and concentration, improved sleep, calmer moods, and a lot more. Already in over 35 countries, this program offers you the natural resources I used to recover my own son. It is unique in that it walks you through not only gut healing and detoxification, but also the co-infections often left out of a recovery program. It also includes additional components such as muscle testing and emotional clearing to empower you to get the best possible outcome with support from a mom who has done it!
For more details on toxins please refer to my book, Naturally Recovering Autism: The Complete Step-By-Step Resource Handbook for Parents.