For example, based on what we see below, if you have a child who is compulsive, depressed, impulsive and suffers from anxiety you can see that 5HTP, St. Johns Wort, GABA, and L-tyrosine could be helpful for his needs.
Another possible combination might be for anxiety, anger/unstable moods, sleep issues, and depression. In this case, GABA with St. Johns Wort and 5HTP could be helpful. If the St. Johns Wort and 5HTP make him too complacent, then add in L-tyrosine to increase focus.
Are You Getting the Idea?
- A worrier with compulsivity = increased anterior cingulate and low serotonin
Solution: 5-HTP and St. Johns Wort
- Impulsive, easily distracted = low PFC and low dopamine
- Impulsive/compulsive = high anterior cingulate and low PFC, low serotonin and low dopamine
Solution: St. Johns wort, 5-HTP and L-tyrosine
- Lacks ability to focus, easily distracted = low dopamine
- Depressed, low energy, crave carbohydrates = high limbic activity, low PFC, check vitamin D levels and DHEA levels
Solution: SAMe, 5HTP, ST. Johns Wort, vitamin D, with possible need for DHEA
- Anxious = high basal ganglia, low GABA levels
Solution: GABA, vitamin B6, and magnesium
- Temper, anger, and mood with memory problems, and learning disabilities = problem with temporal lobes
Solution: GABA, vitamin B6, magnesium, ginkgo, and acetyl-L-carnitine
- Stuck on negative thoughts/grudge holder = anterior cingulate gyrus issue
Solution: 5-HTP and St. Johns Wort to build serotonin, if hyper-focused may also need L-tyrosine.
Dosages will vary depending on weight, age and personal need. Remember that it takes up to three weeks for natural supplementation to be truly effective. If after three weeks you are not satisfied with the results then it is likely that the dosages are incorrect. You can learn about muscle testing for dosages.
IMPORTANT: If medications are already being taken, do not add in 5HTP and St Johns Wort because they work so well that they could cause imbalance. You must first consult your health care practitioner before beginning anything new.