Stress can lead to weakened adrenal glands which leads to excessive fatigue. This can also mean trouble thinking clearly or being able to focus. Starting a new school year has multiple stressors involved, but especially so for those on the autism spectrum.
It is more than common for kids on the autism spectrum to have elevated adrenal hormones, otherwise known as cortisol, due to the internal stress from inflammation that their toxic overload, coinfections, and pathogens have on the multiple systems of the body. There is also a lot of outside stress from sensory overload, not being able to do what they want to do, lack of speech, poor sleep, etc. There’s a lot of frustration that is stressful for them, and for you as a parent too. It’s never just one thing that causes a symptom, so it is important to work with all of these triggers from A-Z. This will all help the adrenals but we can support them further as we work with the underlying causes.
Symptoms of cortisol imbalance:
The stress response, when overburdened, creates many health and behavioral issues. Symptoms are a manifestation of what is happening in the body. Cortisol effects our:
- energy levels
- immune system
- mood (aggression)
- blood sugar
- food digestion
Some common causes of adrenal fatigue that need to be balanced are:
- High inflammatory foods. Get your free guide here to the Top 7 Foods To Eliminate To Help Reduce Inflammation and Assist In Reducing Adrenal Overload…and symptoms of autism.
- Histamines: Reduce high histamine foods such as fermented foods, leftovers, especially protein sources such as meats and poultry, aged foods, and environmental histamine triggers, including chlorine. The AQUATRU water filtration system filters out chlorine and glyphosate and other harmful chemicals. Use this link along with code “RA5” to get 5% off of your order. To learn more, listen to my podcast interview with water expert Robert Slovak, How To Create Healthy Water Resources.
- Leaky gut: If we don’t heal up the lining of the gut that is allowing undigested foods into the bloodstream so the immune system reacts to them then it keeps happening. The gut lining has many reasons why it may have holes like candida, parasites, glyphosate (in Round-Up weed killer that is sprayed onto food crops), mold biotoxins, Lyme. If we don’t get to the core of the issues then it keeps happening.
- MTHFR gene mutation. This can happen when an ill gut blocks methylation (MTHFR). An MTHFR gene mutation also disrupts the body’s ability to make the master antioxidant, glutathione. When the body cannot detoxify properly the toxins build up in the body and cause a myriad of health problems.
- Electromagnetic field radiation (EMF’s): EMF’s are very triggering to mast cell activation. Be sure to turn off wifi at night, place protection on yourself and your home. For a good resource go to, NaturallyRecoveringAutism.com/safe. You can also listen to my podcast on EMF’s here.
- Lyme disease
- PANS: An autoimmune issue
- Mold biotoxins
- Mercury toxicity
- Candida overgrowth, podcast #55
- Stress: Calming exercises and treating underlying emotional trauma with things that reach the subconscious patterns such as emotion code work.
Muscle Testing for Adrenal Fatigue
You can muscle test for the adrenal point. To do this extend one arm out in front of you at about shoulder level. Ask someone to test your arm muscle by gently pressing down on the top of your wrist. The muscle should test strong. Then ask them to cup their right hand in the shape of a “C” and place it over your left armpit. Their fingers will be just inside of your armpit and their thumb just resting on top of your pectoralis muscle. While holding their hand in this place they will test your other arm (your right arm). If the muscle tests weak now then it means your adrenal glands are weak.
Saliva Testing for Adrenal Fatigue
If you would like to do further testing, there is a saliva test from Diagnos-Techs Laboratories that measures your stress hormone (cortisol) levels at four different increments during the day. This test can be done at home or at work, is more accurate than blood testing (92-96%), less invasive than a blood draw, and is more affordable.
Most conventional doctors will measure blood or urine, which only gives one time increment and is far less accurate than saliva testing. Blood tests often allow for false results. To read more in-depth information on saliva testing go to, www.diagnostechs.com, or call (425)251-0596. Most natural practitioners carry this test in their offices, but any practitioner can order one for you by request.
One more added benefit to Diagnos-Techs cortisol saliva test is that it will give you a reading of your gluten tolerance levels. This was automatically added to this test many years ago, as it became apparent that so many people were having elevated cortisol levels and adrenal fatigue due to their bodies reacting to gluten intolerance stressors. So, this is now a two-in-one test for cortisol and gluten antibodies. Gluten is the protein in wheat.
When the body does not properly break down the proteins in wheat and dairy, it creates opiate properties. Among the many issues that arise from this is the reduction in the brain’s ability to focus, anxiety, irritability, stomach aches, and headaches.
What you can do for Weak Adrenals
Of course, you MUST be working on the underlying health issues we’ve already talked about, but additional assistance can come from some of the options below (although the diet is not an option. It is essential!)
- Be sure to eliminate high-inflammatory foods. Get your free guide here to the Top 7 Foods To Eliminate To Help Reduce Inflammation and Assist In Reducing Adrenal Overload.
- The at-home allergy vials are easy to use and can be very helpful now. There is one specifically called, “Thyroid/Adrenal/Hormones”. I also suggest the ‘anxiety’ vial, and the ‘stress” vial which target internal reactions to reduce triggered symptoms.
- The adaptogenic herbs, ashwagandha, and holy basil can be helpful to help calm in the evening before bed.
- Allergy Relief Elixir: This frequency-enhanced elixir tells the body to reduce allergy symptoms and autoimmune responses. More importantly, it turns off three responses of the immune system that inappropriately call allergic and autoimmune responses to develop. Histamine levels are reduced to low normal levels. The functioning of all glands involved is optimized so that allergic and autoimmune patterns of response are reduced and eventually eliminated.
- COQ10 can help increase energy production in the body down to the cellular level.
- The product Drenamin from Standard Process. One pill, three times per day, is often helpful. This is in pill form that can be crushed and added to any food for non-pill takers.
- Unda Ribes Nigrum (liquid) is a homeopathic remedy that assists the adrenals.
- Himalayan sea salt. Yes, that’s right. Mineral salts are helpful for the adrenal glands too. Just a pinch in the morning can be helpful.
When the adrenals are taxed then the thyroid is directly affected. We will discuss this in detail in our next episode.
Quickly Reduce Your Child’s Symptoms
of Autism by Eliminating 7 Specific Foods that Most People Consume Daily!
The first crucial step of autism recovery is to begin restoring health to the gut and the immune system.
The health of the gut is directly linked to the health of the brain and therefore to the symptoms of autism. In fact, 80% of the immune system comes from the gut so if the gut is not healthy, then the brain can’t thrive, and the immune system is compromised. It’s a vicious cycle, but thankfully, it’s one that we can put an end to by first eliminating harmful foods.
This is for informational purposes only and is not meant to diagnose or treat.